Monday, September 15, 2008

A Letter to My Boys


Dear Jack and John,

I am sorry that I named you "Jack" and "John". How was I supposed to know it was the same name? We knew we would always name Jack, "Jack", but when John came out you just looked like a Forrest. How cool is it to have two John Forrests in the family. I got some strange reactions about naming you guys before you were born, but no one ever said that Jack and John were the same name. It wasn't until the doctor at the hospital said, "What are you going to call Jack, once John's nickname is Jack?" Well, why would I give John the nickname of Jack? Really. Jack, your nick name is Peter (for Peter Parker) or Jr. because your middle name starts with and an "R" therefore J. R. or Junior. John, your nickname is the boss, because you think you are in charge. You really like that nickname. Sometimes, you want me to call you "the boss". When I say, "Hey, John" you say, "No, I am the Boss!" We also call you Bruce Wayne because you LOVE Batman.


Some people really like that I named you Jack and John. I wonder if people think I did that on purpose because Jack and John are "supposed" to be the same name and you are twins. Like I am clever or something. I like saying your names really fast together. Jack and John, like that. Say it really fast and you will see what I mean. Other times it is fun to say it with a French accent like shzack and shzohn. That is fun too. Try that one.


Mostly it is the older generation that think Jack and John are the same name. Other nicknames for John, include but are not limited too ( I just wanted to add that to sound cool) Ian, Sean, Jerry, Evan, Johan, Jonas, Giovanni, and some others that I can't think of right now. Anyway, just for the record, I like your names and they fit both of you really well. Well, right now you are both wanting me to take you on a bike ride really bad to the "sand park", so I better go. I love you Jack and John. You guys are cool.

Love,

Mom

6 comments:

Becky said...

You are so Funny! I love the letter! I was thinking the other day when my whole family came to colorado for Brocks baptism and my mom and I stayed at your house on like a twin bed. That was pretty funny. You and I went and got crisoy cream doughnuts and coke. You are a great hostess!!

sandi said...

Ok, This is funny. And let me tell you why I think it is funny! Well as I was typing you my explanation of why it is funny. I decided that my explanation was funny and that I need to blog about it. So check out my blog for my reply!

Steph said...

??? I never knew there were so many nick names for John...

The fly-fisherman said...

You are too cool. I love the letter to your boys. I must admit that I have never understood how Jack became a nickname for John in the first place. I understand nicknames that shorten a name. Like Gabbi for Gabriella. Or nicknames for names that are hard to pronounce. For instance, Dee for Deaunka (That was a girl I went to school with). Or, nicknames for names you are embarrassed to use in public. You know Les, for Lester or Mel for Melvin. But, Jack for John, really?! It doesn't fall into any of these categories. I do however, love the nicknames you have given your boys... Peter and Boss are much more fitting. Those are real nicknames!!!

Linds Forrest said...

Love the letter! Will they go by Peter and Boss when I see you next weekend?!

Lindsay said...

That was funny. One of my favorite quotes from Jack is "Mommy, I'm not going to like anyone today.... just myself."

I feel that way sometimes. Cute letter Kel, I hope you make them a copy.