I just finished watching Jane Austen's Persuasion on PBS. First, I have to say that I can't believe how much I love that story. I mean absolutely LOVE it, even when I think that I am not THAT excited about it because I know what is going to happen. I start watching it and I realize that I have this goofy grin on my face the whole time. I am such a girl.
So, I was very pleased with Captain Wentworth. He was quite handsome. He was probably the best looking Captain Wentworth that I have seen yet. I wished Anne would have been a little better looking, not to seem shallow or whatever, but maybe it wasn't just her looks. I always pictured Anne as a very calm and graceful woman. She seemed so awkward in this film. Of course, she is going to feel uneasy and awkward at times, but I always thought she would hide it well. It seemed like the Anne in this movie was always about to fall over or something. I am sure she had a little more dignity and poise. Well, that is how she will always be in my head anyway. I can wait for another movie to see if they get that part right for me.
The other part that I was disappointed about was the ending, In the book, Anne is in a room full of people and she starts to have the conversation that she had with Capt. Bennick about how a woman loves longer, even when all hope seems lost. I don't remember who she is talking too, but they have this pretty long conversation about who loves longer, a man or a woman. The whole time Capt. Wentworth is sitting at a table "pretending" to write a letter to his friend. But really he is writing a letter to Anne, telling her that he cannot sit there and listen to her say that a woman loves longer and that he has never stopped loving her since they parted eight years ago. (Sigh!). He rushes out the door, rushes back in, hands Anne the letter, then takes off. She reads it and Charles says that she looks ill, so he wants to take her home. They run into Wentworth on the street and Charles asks if Wentworth could take Anne the rest of the way because of the gun he wants to see (like in the movie). Then of course, the rest is history. That is my favorite part and they totally skipped it.
One last thing, I don't think in previous movies they show Anne visiting her friend in Bath. It is kind of a random thing and doesn't really have much relevance to the story line. If I remember right, that is one of the things this book was criticized for in the past. So all I am saying is skip that part and put in the good part. Seriously!
I would have to say that all and all I did like this version of Persuasion, but I don't think it's my all time favorite. Although, I am pretty sure I will watch it again. What did you all think?
9 comments:
I agree with you that they did leave out one of the best parts, but I did like how she was running and thinking of the letter as she was running and running and running. Maybe it's because I like to run and think. Also, because I think the best part is the actual letter and what it said. So, I didn't mind that part as much.
One part that did bother me was the hour long pause before they kissed. It's like just kiss already!!!! Did that drive you crazy?
I do think they needed to show her going to her friends house. I liked that part in the book where she blew off her families party or engagement to go and do her own thing. It showed that she can't be "persuaded" like when she was younger.
Oh, and I liked the girl that played Mary. I think they nailed that character this time then in any other movie they've done.
The person that played Anne was alright. She didn't bother me as much as the girl that played Jane.
Wentworth.....WOW! I think they got that one right too. He was perfect!
Yeah, the kiss thing was a bit drawn out. They know they wanted it, they just needed to do it.
They did leave out some really good parts in that letter though.
Yes, Wentworth has been the best looking leading man that I have ever seen in one of these movies, aside from Colin Firth when he played Darcy.
I was almost shocked when I saw how good looking he was. I think I feel like he and the girl that played Anne didn't match.
I actually liked Jane better because maybe she wasn't that cute, but she was always very firm and confident. Jane also looked better with her hair down.
oh yes, this is all good stuff.
The next movie is Northanger Abby. I only read that book once. But, I have seen a couple different movie versions. We will see how it goes.
Ok... so I have to rent this now. Is it a Jane Austin movie?! Your love and admiration for it is inspiring!
Ok, I'm going to get that book from the library. I've never read it!
I don't know if you got my message, but I loved how they danced at the end. I don't think anyone would get that if they didn't read the book.
I can't believe you never read it. It is such a good book. Yeah, I remember reading that in the book that she never dances, but I don't remember them dancing in the end. That was a nice touch.
Lindsey Forrest, it is Persuasion, by Jane Austen. You totally need to read it.
Hollie, you are right about the friend part. I watched it again last night and that was a good part. i don't remember it being quite that dramatic in the book. I will totally read it again.
It is even better the second time around.
This was my Jane Austin quote I got today.....I thought you would like it.
I do not want people to be agreeable, as it saves me the trouble of liking them.
Post a Comment