Sunday, May 09, 2010

Salt Lake City Marathon 2010

This was the third year we have gone out to Utah for the Salt Lake Marathon. However, it was the first time Gary ran the WHOLE marathon. He is amazing. I was supposed to run the marathon, but had a hard time training and getting the miles in, so I ran the half marathon. I did realize that this race was my 5th half marathon. To compensate for chickening out of the marathon, I kept saying to people..."Do you know that this is my 5th half marathon?" So, that made me feel better.

I was lucky to run with with my old roommate,Mya, from back in the Raintree Apartment days. It was awesome. We were running pretty fast and scheduled to come in under two hours, but I had a hard time with State Street. I told Mya to save herself. She said, no, she didn't need too and I told her that I would have totally left her and she STILL stayed with me. She is a much better friend than I am and you should see how cool she looks when she rocks out to her ipod (which thankfully is much smaller this year!). (Really, that was meant to be funny, I am just teasing her because I am jealous of her awesome Garmin Watch.) We did both end up finishing a few minutes faster than last year, which was nice. Thanks, Mya. You are awesome and that was totally fun.


I also met up with my old pal, Renell, from back in the Highlands Ranch days. We haven't seen each other for a couple of years. But, so far, I have seen Renell at Disneyland and Salt Lake in the last two months. I have yet to see her in Colorado, but I have been to her house (last night even)...how is that for a riddle? Go Renell, you are awesome too!!

Then we waited for Gary...and we waited....and we waited...and we waited....then finally, there he was. He rounded the corner into The Gateway. Brigham helped Isabel hop the fence and we told her to run the last little bit with him. I, suddenly, wanted to bawl like a big ginormous baby. It was so cool to see him finish and even cooler to see how Isabel supported her dad like that. I love my family. (Here come the tears.)
I was so proud of Gary. I am sure this is the first of many marathons to come. He said that when he finished he had this amazing feeling of accomplishment rush over him.


Way to go, Gary!!!

We both will be running the St. George Marathon. So, hopefully, I can feel that same feeling that he had. Since there is no 1/2 marathon in St. George...it looks like I am running the whole thing whether I get the training in or not.....the adventures never end.

2 comments:

The fly-fisherman's wife said...

Congratulations to both of you! 5 1/2 marathons is amazing! And way to go Gary. We are excited to have you come and run St. George. It is a much easier course and very, very fun. You guys are impressive. We are planning on you staying with us (I promise I will put the kids to bed early this time)

Kristy said...

Go Kellie and go Gary! That is awesome! I am so proud of you two! I'm trying to convince Tom to do a 1/2 in August we shall see! Isaac, Josh and I ran Tom in for his marathon and it was awesome! And you know what? Bring on the tears, it's how it is!