Here is how it all went down. We filled the van Thurdsay afternoon (April 17th). We heard it was going to snow all the way from here to Utah, so I picked the kids up from school, well I tried too, but I got there five minutes after three and I guess you have to be there before three or you have to wait unitl 3:20pm. I was not happy about that and it was not my proudest moment, but what are you going to do. I have seen worse. Finally, I get the kids, get stuck in traffic, get Gary from work, drive on to Longmont, and pick up Hollie. By now, it is raining some. We start driving down 287 from Fort Collins to Wyoming. The rain turns to snow. We can't really see what is in front of us. It takes thirty minutes to drive 10 miles. We think about heading back, but we keep going. We get to a point where the is a row of cars stopped on the highway. We decide to turn around. Hollie calls Ryan and he says that 287 has been closed. We don't really know what to do and we are hungry. So, we go to Culver's in Longmont, home of the famous butter burger...and when they say butter, they are not joking.....
Here is where the pictures start. Lucky you. After we eat our dinner, the nice lady gave the boys free icecream.
Yes, I am tired and Jack is completely gone. Wouldn't it be nice to be able to fall asleep anywhere like that?
So, after driving to Longmont, we talk to Brigham, who says, "Oh yeah, just try coming in the morning, the storm will be over by then." We then drive back to Fort Collins (40 minutes from Longmont...Hollie likes to talk about this one because she was 40 minutes from her bed) to a nice Day's Inn that takes dogs, lucky for Eddy. Doesn't Hollie look so comfortable?
Jack and John thought this was the next best thing to candy and Spiderman. They were bouncing off the walls. "We're in a motel! That's where I am sleeping! AHHHHHHH!" You know, stuff like that.
We get up the next morning only to find that I-80 is still closed. Completely bummed out, we start driving Hollie back to Longmont. While we are driving, we brainstorm....how about taking I-70?...Too snowy....How about renting an SUV and taking I-70?...no SUV's that fit seven in Denver...how about Gary and Isabel fly out?....Nothing seems to be going our way. But, I am determined. Have you every run in a race before? It is so awesome and we worked so hard. We feel the whole thing is a bust and drive home. In the meantime, the girls are devastated. Wailing and sobbing, Isabel declares that she is never going to run again...oh the horror. Lucy, just cries and wails and wants to go and see her cousins so bad. We videoed it. It is pretty funny. I am going to use it as blackmail one day.
We get home and James calls. He finds tickets to Utah for $88 round trip that is scheduled to leave for Utah at 9:00pm. We buy 7. Holy Cow! Is this really going to happen? About 4:00pm, the snow starts pounding. I tell Gary that we better get to the airport. While driving down E470, cars are sliding off the road, the snow is heavy, we are driving so slow, I say to everyone one, if we actually make it to Utah, it will be a miracle. I was having plenty of doubts about this thing really happening and I couldn't believe what we were doing.
This is what it looked like when we left the house.
We get to the airport and eat some really (not really) healthy dinner.
We land in Utah about 1:30am. By the time we get to bed it is 2:00am. Gary sets the alarm for 5:45am and guess what! We totally wake up.
Here we are leaving Grandpa Forrest's house.
We get to aid Station 2, where the Forrest's and the Stapley's are volunteering. We stop, drink, take pictures, drop off long sleeved shirts, and take more pictures. I ask Wendy where Hollie is and she says that Hollie took off. So, I take off looking for her. I can't find her anywhere. So then it happens...I think to myself...I did not just go through the past couple of days and 3 hours of sleep for nothing...I am going for it. So, I do. I run my little heart out. I see Gary on a turn and then I see Mya (my old roommate). I stop at all the aid stations and stretch a little at every second or third one. Suddenly, I am at mile 10...I am like...no way....so I keep running....only a 5K left. So, I run as fast as I can which is not super fast when you are running up State Street...hello!!! Finally, we turn off of State and run down by the temple. It is so nice because it is more down hill. I run and run and run. I get to the Gateway Mall and start running down that little stretch to the finish line. I slow down a little, but this cute little old lady keeps passing me....so I think, oh no little old lady, you picked the wrong day to mess with me. I start hauling as fast as I can. I am wearing my heart rate monitor and my heart rate spikes up to 199. That has never happened in my Spinning class before....NEVER. So, I cross the finish line. My time was 2:14:47, which was about 16 minutes faster than my 2:30:? from last year. AWESOME!!
Isabel ran the 5K and Lucy ran the 1K. This is where I wish I had photoshop and could circle her and make an arrow pointing her out. I am not that cool, but someday...watch out.
We did it and we lived to tell about it. Pretty cool adventure if you ask me....kind of makes me tired and kind of makes me want to go to bed right now. I sure love our little Forrest team. It makes things more fun when you have awesome friends and family that want to do cool things with you. You guys rock!!! RUN FORREST RUN!!!
1 comment:
That is an AWESOME story you have there! What an experience. And you'll be telling that story for years to come. Only someday you'll be telling your grandkids and it will have turned out that it was snowing in UT too and you had to run in 5 feet of snow....... up hill....... the whole race and you won!!!
p.s. the word verification for this comment is ranun. That's funny! kind of like runnin but ranun. Funny.
Post a Comment