Monday, August 11, 2008

First Day of the New School!

(This is pretty much the best picture I could get. Isabel wanted just "TO GO!" and Lucy wanted to never ever leave the house.)

Well, the time has come for our big switch to our new school. It has been an exciting day for one and an absolute dreaded for the other. Isabel was excited because she was in the same class as our cute little neighbor down the street. Lucy, on the other hand, was absolutely terrified. Gary gave her a father's blessing last night that told her not to think too much about stuff and to not be so stressed out, which I do think helped a lot, but as we started to drive off, Lucy says, "I don't think the blessing is working!"

I took her in to school and tried to get her to sit in the line where her teacher would pick her up...the tears just came gushing. So, I decided to take her to her new classroom myself and as the class came in, the sweet teacher just rushed to her and tried to calm her. Out of the side of her mouth, she said, "just leave fast." Immediately I knew she was right, so I left my poor little girl in this strange place just sobbing and sobbing. Of course, I couldn't get out of that place without a few tears of my own. It is so hard sometimes, you know. Sometimes, the things we know we have to do, we need to do, are so hard. Of course, I second guess myself, "Did I make the right choice?" "Am I ruining my poor kid's life?" "How much is she going to have to pay in therapy because of my decision?"

I got her home and she seemed fine. She told me she almost started to cry one more time because she missed me. We were pretty good to go for tomorrow until I told her I have started a carpool and our friend is taking her tomorrow morning....more tears...luckily she was tired and they didn't last long as she fell right to sleep.

Then there is Isabel, "Uhm, Mom, please don't walk me to my classroom! Mom, no, for real!" Oh boy! How will I ever survive this?

6 comments:

Lindsay said...

OK, so I started crying when I read this. Maybe it was because today was Roman's first day of school. You're a good mom Kel. I understand Lucy's thinking too much, it's runs in the family. Good luck with everything.

Linds Forrest said...

That would be so hard! You will have to give me pointers when our kiddos start school. I hope they are liking it more, they sure looked cute. But I couldn't help but giggle when I saw that picture of Lucy and Isabel, they are too cute! I can't wait to see you guys, in 7 weeks!!

Hollie said...

Oh Kellie, that picture of Isabel totally reminds me of you waiting for me to get to school on time. Remember how you would stomp on the floor by the front door, like that would of helped me?

Poor Lucy, in about a week she will be totally fine:) We'll make more bows!

The fly-fisherman said...

Okay, that is the greatest picture ever!!! I am still laughing over it. I feel so bad for Lucy. I know what you mean about questioning your decisions when it comes to your kids... I do the same thing every single day! She will be just fine and will be grateful in a couple of days.

Steph said...

Kellie~
I will be going through what you went through. Lucky for me Madalyn is excited. If she was crying, I would probably just keep her home. My heart goes out to you... and after reading Hollie's comment, I want some of her bows. The animal ones on her website are DARLING!!!

bluemustard said...

That is THE best picture of Isabel, I can't stop laughing at it. I love their new school WAAAAY better then the old one.